Friday, March 14, 2008

Barfity Bloggity wah?

Sometimes I write pretty well. No, honestly. At certain points in time there's the off chance that I'll write something witty, and pithy and generally enjoyable -- even to me. That's not to sound like a pompous ego-maniac, more to acknowledge my overwhelming self-deprecating manner. (Which, at this point, having spent a fair amount of time with other "writers," I've found is pretty standard. Oh man, I'm a cliche.) I blame Dave. Dear Dave, how could you help re-popularize this self-aware writing style that is predicated by making terrible self-referential jokes all the time? I like how many dashes I used in those words just now. Dashes make me feel smart.

But really, this entire post is just an attempt to stimulate my writing brain into working again. Here's a note about writing articles on topics you think you really care about: don't do it. I have at this point exhausted what I once felt was a lot to say about this topic -- I don't feel I can be all that honest, nor do I feel I'll say anything that people won't be angry about once heard. Alas, perhaps that's the point, I'm not supposed to say what's nice, I'm supposed to say what needs to be said. Be honest, be accurate -- but it doesn't always mean you can be fair. Case in point: I'm profiling a program I originally admired, and subsequently am incredibly disappointed by, having learned that some of its participants came away from their experience with a somewhat sour attitude. It's made me question whether I have real commitment to anything. The subject matter interests me, and I can't even finish the article. Technically, I should be able to write this without a ton of thought -- but I actually give a damn about the subject matter, so now I'm not writing at all because everything is coming out mean. Whoo, I'm a commitment-phobe! But hey, I'm young, it's no big deal. I love being in my twenties. You can blame everything on youth, and inexperience, and on a desire to be a "free-spirit." No one will hold it against you, really, because hey, you're young! ::Light cigarette, take swig of vodka, frolic in otherwise inappropriate manner for a lady with any class::

So ends the writing wrant...and now I'm just procrastinating. Oh well. Rysiebops has passed this on to me, and there is relative joy to it, so I pass it to you. Even my blogging is uninspired. I'm putting someone else's vlog on my blog. Good lord.

No comments: