Monday, January 7, 2008

Strippers Write Good Too!

Happy New Year all! Blessings, good tidings, prosperity, longevity, um... suddenly I feel like a tweaked out fortune cookie.

Fresh back from a screening of Juno, and I must say, mad ups to Diablo Cody for her writing skills, and the cast for their tres bien performances. For anyone who doesn't know: Juno is the story of a hilariously caustic sixteen year old who decides to keep a child from an unplanned pregnancy. It documents the journey from her finding out, to her plans for adoption with a happy suburban couple, and the eventualities of her courageous and difficult decisions.

Diablo Cody, whose experience stripping is featured in her very own book, is the brilliant mind behind the screenplay. It's witty, snarky, and yet emotionally poignant in a non-cloying way. Shocking and unbelievable, yes I know. So many movies these days go for that hilarity and emotionality balance, and rarely manage to find it. (I may get blasted for this, but case in point, Superbad or Knocked Up). Somehow it always hits slightly off the mark. Cody's characters are three dimensional in a very human, likable way. I'd say it's fairly uncommon for almost all the characters to convey their vulnerability while maintaining witty banter. That is, of course, due much in part to the actors themselves. Ellen Page is stellar at portraying Juno. I'm such a huge fan of dry/witty comedic timing, and dang does this girl got some. Allison Janney, as always, holds her own with searing on screen tongue lashings. Anyone familiar with 10 Things I Hate About You (See shakes pompoms) will remember the turgid moments in the office with Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles. I could gush on and on about the film, but this should suffice and I'll just say this: go see it if you're in the mood for something that will make you laugh and make you think.

In other entertainment related news, Guitar Hero III is terribly addicting, but I recommend it to everyone. One of the many songs worth a listen to from their soundtrack is Superbus's Radio Song. Go French Rock! I publicize this, and not others, because that's one I'm sure most of us aren't too familiar with since the majority of the tracks are American Rock. Busy weeks ahead, so onwards we go into 2008 with many fortune cookie-like happy tidings from me to you. Here, I'll even put a smiley just to prove it. :)

No comments: