Thursday, October 4, 2007

Lake of Fire

The new documentary by the director of American History X, Tony Kaye, apparently opened today in Manhattan. His topic of choice? Abortion. But this isn't your run of the mill documentary, it's done in black and white and the research period for it is nothing to sniff at.

After 16 years of research for this film, it's finally coming out in all its bombastic glory. Or maybe bombastic isn't the right word. From the review in the nytimes (my baby newspaper -- "you should just jack your head into the nytimes," thanks, big brother) it's apparently an incredibly graphic and gruesome (aka potentially realistic?) portrayal of abortion. The critic who reviewed the movie seemed to think that you were supposed to gauge Kaye's personal views on the issue based on how he juxtaposed images, sounds and concepts. I was about to rip into that and say that maybe he wasn't trying to convey a view, but I suppose I really shouldn't since I sit around analyzing texts all the time and purporting to understand the author's "intentions" for their audience through a scene of dialogue. Yay hypocrisy! Regardless, since the film seems to be interview based I am very curious to see how this will be spun, since splicing interviews and people's commentaries can be very touchy.

And as for my personal thoughts on the abortion issue, I'm pro-abortion rights, but I'm not necessarily pro-abortion? But, that doesn't mean I'll judge anyone for having or not having one. Maybe I'll change my mind after that movie though. Although, I seriously doubt that, cause if for some reason I were faced with that decision, I know it wouldn't be easy. Which would mean that whatever choice I came to would probably be one that I had turned over many times in my head. Either way, I still think it's better to give women the option, because (and apparently the movie addresses a situation like this) the underground alternatives that people could/would try would definitely lead to much worse outcomes than if they could get it taken care of in a safe, sterile, and cared for environment.

Anyways, review to come when I've actually seen it. Whee!

No comments: