Monday, October 8, 2007

A Little Info

For women, and I guess anyone who is interested, a new study on Breast Cancer.

Alcohol, an issue of contention as always, has apparently been linked to increases in breast cancer. So, ladies, 1-2 drinks a day raises your chances of getting breast cancer by 10%. 3 drinks or more a day seems to raise your chances by 30%. My favorite tidbit of info was a bit of a kick in the ovaries for me:

"Any alcohol consumption will raise your breast cancer risk," Key said. "Women don't have to abstain from alcohol entirely, but they need to be aware of the risks they're taking when they have a few too many drinks."

We're talking any type of alcohol, as in drinking wine because you think it's better for your heart is total huey since it doesn't matter what you consume. As long as it has alcoholic content, it's messing with you.

Now, granted I don't drink alcohol everyday, but this article still does scare me. As if losing an appendix weren't indication enough that my body isn't happy, I'd say it's probably a good idea for me to reconsider my behavior when I'm out. Yuck. Everything gives you cancer these days.

And, for more more random information that serves no larger purpose in your life, I bring you Fortune Cookie Drama.

Funny enough, at the SF Asian American Film Festival during the spring I watched a short about a fortune cookie company (apparently not written or directed by anyone asian). The plot being that a guy was going through a crappy break up with his girlfriend and started writing some nasty fortunes for his father's fortune cookie company. Et voila! Art reflects reality reflects art? Although, supposedly none of the writers are unhappy, they're just writing more "cautious" fortunes as opposed to the saccharine ones that we're all used to. "You are a brilliant snowflake. No one is like you in the whollleee world."

You are not a snowflake, wait, I am not a snowflake? But, I doubt I'd be too happy if I got "Today is a disastrous day. If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em." Then again, there are some people I would wish a jaded fortune cookie on so they'd stop being so ridiculously whimsical about everything. Hrm, perhaps I should send Wonton Food a little note thanking them for giving everyone a little dose of reality.

3 comments:

Tim said...

While cancer is nothing to balk at, heart disease is still number one for all Americans. Something like twice as many women die from heart disease than all types of cancer.

Lesson here, mind your heart just as much as you follow up on the rest of your health.

N said...

With that in mind, perhaps you should drink for heart health?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2638399.stm
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/48059.php

Tim said...

Most of the things I have read recommend moderation. So this may be your excuse to indulge; but not to over-do.

The British once launched a campaign with the mnemonic "2F3M4". It's a range, encoded. The drinks one would have while out is represented by the numbers; left is the low end, the right is the high end and the letter is your gender.

And the rest of what I have read recommends at most 2 drinks a day.

Cheers.